Search This Blog

2/15/2010

Pumpkin Sweet Potato Muffins with Streusel Topping



This morning I had to start the day by being the one to “call a meeting” at the beginning of a Thursday morning. Everyone hates starting the day off with a meeting including me. So I thought the least I could do was make everyone feel a little better about being there by baking something sweet. Since it was breakfast time, I decided upon a version of a cupcake meets a muffin. A few weeks ago I had tried a wicked recipe for Sweet Potato cupcakes, but I wanted to make something a little less sweet without the icing. So I invented. I took the base from the cupcake recipe and changed a few things around to get what I called “Pumpkin Sweet Potato Muffins with Streusel Topping.” I added a few raisins and nuts to add a little protein to start off the day on a good note. They turned out pretty darn good, leaving only one complaint: that some of the butter from the topping dripped over the side during the baking process and left the paper wrappers a bit greasy feeling.

“Pumpkin Sweet Potato” Muffins with Streusel Topping

Ingredients for Muffins:
1 cup sweet potato puree (I only use fresh and I used the variety Pumpkin Sweet Potato)
1/4 cup soymilk
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup finely crushed walnuts
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

Streusel Topping:
4 1/2 TBS flour
5 TBS sugar
3 TBS butter
1 tsp cinnamon
3-4 TBS finely chopped walnuts

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together sweet potato puree, soymilk, oil, sugars, and vanilla. Sift in the flour, walnuts, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in raisins.
3. Fill liners with 3 tablespoons batter (cups should be approximately 2/3 full).
4. To make topping: Mix the dry ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle on the top of the muffin batter.
5. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment