Search This Blog

2/04/2010

Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancakes

I woke up this on this Thursday morning and thought it is a great day for pancakes, so I prepared the ingredients for a recipe that I have been meaning to try for Betsy DiJulio's Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancakes! Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a definite hit the spot every time kind of food, so these pancakes sounded like heaven! I have recently become hooked on baking using soy milk, not because I am a vegan or even remotely close, but it gives my treats a nice flavor. As I waited for my vegan like buttermilk to curdle, I prepped the dry ingredients and am not sure if I was more excited about brown sugar being in these pancakes or the peanut butter itself. Once I whisked in the buttermilk and the peanut butter, the batter appeared a little thin. But I decided that since this was the first time I was trying this recipe that I shouldn't try to change it at all, so I just poured the batter as is onto the heated pan. Luckily I didn't add any more dry ingredients because it didn't take long for these hotcakes to fluff up beautifully in the pan. The consistency turned out to be just perfect and the aroma that filled my kitchen was even better! I couldn't wait very long to taste one and was in love before I even finished chewing. These might even be better than peanut butter cookies-not too sweet and not too rich-the perfect blend of flavors. I stacked a few on a plate and topped them with a nice scoop of wild berry jam and a handful of crushed peanuts-just looking at the purplish colored jam on top of the golden brown pancakes made my mouth water. These were totally worth getting up early for!



Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancakes
Recipe from The Blooming Platter by Betsy DiJulio
Makes: 6-10 pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup unsweetened soy milk minus 1 tablespoon (plain or vanilla soy milk would be good too)
1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
2 scant tablespoons vegan butter (I like Earth Balance)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/ 2 cup self-rising flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar or raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons natural / organic creamy peanut butter (no sugar added)
Garnish: powdered sugar; jam, jelly or fruit topping of your choice; chopped peanuts
Directions:
1. In a small cup or bowl , whisk together soy milk and vinegar to make vegan buttermilk.
2. In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 scant tablespoon of the butter. 3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together both flours, brown sugar, baking powder and soda. Make a well in the center and add soy milk mixture along with peanut butter. Stir just until combined, peanut butter is incorporated and few lumps remain.
4. Using a 1 / 3 cup measure, make three pancakes (or a 1 / 4 cup measure to make 4 pancakes), spreading ever so slightly just to flatten tops. Cook a minute or two on the first side, gently flip and cook another couple of minutes on the reverse. Avoid overcrowding. If pancakes look like they are going to run together, just cook a couple at a time, and add butter to keep skillet greased as needed. (Note: Bubbles will not appear in this batter indicating doneness as with some pancakes. Instead look for a high rise and nicely set edges.) If pancakes are cooking too quickly, lower heat to medium, especially for second side.
5. When cooked through, remove pancakes to plates or a serving platter, keep warm, and repeat with remaining scant tablespoon of butter and pancake batter.
6. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar; a dollop or drizzle of your favorite jam, jelly or fruit topping; and a sprinkling of chopped peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment