Search This Blog

7/08/2010

Homemade Barbeque Sauce

So once again there has been quite a gap in my blog posts, but it doesn’t mean I have stopped creating delicious treats, I have just been overwhelmed with transitioning back into Canadian life. We just moved from the in-laws into our new apartment and have been settling into our new nest as well as trying to get started with our career again. It is pretty tough stuff!


But now that we have our own place and access to all of our wonderful kitchen supplies that have been in storage for almost 5 years because of our overseas adventures, we are ready to rock and roll and create an unlimited array of yummy things!

The first recipe that I am going to post is for Homemade Barbeque Sauce. I found this recipe months ago and just needed to find the right time to make it. So I decided to make it for Father’s Day and combine a jar of it with some barbeque tools for the dads. What a great gift!

I prepared all of my ingredients from my pantry and had a hard time finding the chile peppers called for in the recipe, but I didn’t give up and luckily my husband didn’t mind too much driving me all over the city checking every grocery store for them. These peppers are a must and can’t be substituted because in my opinion the smokiness of them “makes” the sauce.

As I was letting the sauce simmer, it was almost instantly that the aroma took over my house. What a delicious combination of sweet and spicy. The molasses in the sauce allowed for a sweetness that was not too overpowering like sugar or ketchup would provide in a typical barbeque recipe. After nearly an hour of simmering, I prepared my sterilized quart sized canning jars and poured the blended sauce into them. Since I went a little overboard on tasting the sauce during the simmering process, the jars were a little shy of sauce…whoops! I prepared a homemade label and glued some ribbon around the lid to spruce up the ordinary canning jar. I let it cool and then put the jar in the fridge to chill. This sauce will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Overall I was very impressed with the flavor of this sauce, however I am not sure I would just stick to using it on the barbeque. It is fantastic on chicken wings, pizza, and tossed with pasta. Hope you enjoy this recipe!



Barbeque Sauce
Recipe From: Martha Stewart
Makes about 1 quart

Ingredients:
• 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 Spanish onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes
• 1 canned chipotle chile, packed in adobo sauce, minced
• 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper





Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.

2. Stir in tomatoes, chile, Worcestershire, vinegar, molasses, and lemon juice. Simmer over medium-low heat until reduced by a fourth, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.

3. Working in batches, purée sauce in a blender. Season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate in a jar up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment