Search This Blog

4/12/2010

Cheesy Beer Bread


                              

It was a rainy afternoon and I was in need of a project, so I scoured the pantry and the fridge to see what I could come up with for a dinner treat. We were having pasta for dinner with honey garlic sausage delivered from the Ponderosa Farm down the road. Therefore I was thinking bread to soak up the sauce. I looked through my cookbook and found a recipe that I have put off trying for some reason unknown to me because it sounds fabulous, Cheesy Beer Bread. Since I am such a nice wife, I thought I would ask my husband what he thought about the idea. I don’t know what I was thinking to ask a man if something that had cheese and beer in it would be something to question, but anyway! I went straight for the cold room and grabbed a can of Alexander Keith’s Red Amber Ale, brewed in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I have recently taken a liking to this brew and I thought it would be a good complement to the herbs called for in the recipe.

As I was preparing the dough, I could not believe how simple it was to put this bread together. No kneading required! The most time consuming part was grating the block of cheddar from the Ivanhoe Cheese Factory down the road! It would have been easier to have used already shredded cheese, but when I get a chance to support the local businesses I do. I followed the recipe exactly as stated, but didn’t need to add the water because the dough was moist enough. I sprinkled a heavy sprinkle of cheese on the top just so there would be extra “crispy” cheese on the side of the pan for a nibble later. Ok so I said it one of my weaknesses..crispy cheese bits! The aroma of the baking bread filled the house within a matter of minutes! Making this recipe requires a lot of pacing back and forth and self control because I was ready to cut the knife into it immediately, but I had to wait and let it cool after removing from the oven. Darn rules of baking! I must admit this was truly a slice of heaven.. suitable for all lovers of savory bread! Best enjoyed with a can of cold beer! There will be no going back to plain old white bread with this recipe!

Cheesy Beer Bread

Recipe from: TBD

Makes: 1 loaf

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup + 2 TBS shredded cheddar cheese

1 TBS dried thyme

1 TBS dried rosemary

12 oz beer (any kind will do, but the more flavorful the better)

1/4 cup olive oil

2 TBS water (if needed)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a loaf pan.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix in 3/4 cup cheese and the herbs.

3. Add the beer and mix until combined. Mix in the olive oil until there is no more dry flour. If there is, then mix in the water.

4. Pour the batter in the loaf pan and sprinkle with extra cheese. Bake for 50-55 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment